“Antidepressants work for 35 to 45% of the depressed population, while more recent figures suggest as low as 30%. Standard antipressants… have recently been revealed to have serious risks, and are linked to suicide, violence, psychosis, abnormal bleeding and brain tumors….
“Long-term recovery from depression ultimately requires addressing the underlying relationship causes of depression, not simply symptoms such as chemical imbalance and depressive thoughts. This is why healing both the relationship environment and the whole person is vital in preventing relapse….
- “Depressive disorders affect approximately 18.8 million American adults or about 9.5% of the U.S. population age 18 and older….
- “Pre-schoolers are the fastest-growing market for antidepressants. At least four percent of preschoolers — over a million — are clinically depressed.
- The rate of increase of depression among children is an astounding 23% p.a.
- 15% of the population of most developed countries suffers severe depression.
- 30% of women are depressed. Men’s figures were previously thought to be half that of women, but new estimates are higher.”
My Comment: Undoubtedly, depression will grow, qualitatively and quantitatively, in the entire world, in all. It’s because we have created the world unfit for life. For the time being, it is depression in particular that urges us to look for a solution. Depression disappears only when we create a warm and loving atmosphere in the society.
Posted on August 13th, 2011 at 8:24 pm / laitman.com